Breaking News
recent

Presentation for Tom Ford


This blog post is going to take us back to my presentation I did couple of weeks ago. I am happy that I found information about Tom Ford that makes me feel connected to the brand and helps me understand his ethics. I enjoyed doing my presentation as I had the chance to explain briefly how im incorporating my shoots with the style of Ford.

The conception of the Tom Ford brand began in 2004, the year after he departed from the Gucci group, starting with the launch of a cosmetics and fragrance line in partnership with Estee Lauder and former Gucci CEO Domenico de Sole. An optical and sunglasses range with the Marcolin group ensued but it wasn't until a year later that Ford marked his first foray into design under his own name.

He collaborates with Ermenegildo Zegna and launches a range of luxury menswear (accessories and shoes) in 2006. That brought him success and he then opens a two storey flagship store just a year later. Thanks to his partnerships with the luxury department stores Dalsu and Villa Moda in 2007 he proudly announces that the Tom Ford brand is expecting an international expansion with flagships in London, Milan, LA, Hawaii 


In 2010 Ford marked his return to womenswear design with an intimate presentation at his Madison Avenue flagship store with a coterie of attendees such as Beyoncé Knowles, Daphne Guinness and Lauren Hutton. The public and the rest of the fashion industry were kept on tenterhooks for two months to see the collection in an exclusive feature in American Vogue. 


The following collection was moved to London Fashion Week, but shown privately in a showroom. In 2013 Ford opened his collections to a wider selection of press, bloggers and photographers, joining the London Fashion Week official schedule and showing his menswear for the first time at London Collections: Men.
No photographers (except Terry Richardson, shooting for the house), no pre or post publicity, and above all, no internet. Mr Ford was adamant the pictures would be released to the glossies when he was ready - not before.
The collection was shown in his Madison Avenue store, watched by 100 and modelled by the women who inspire him, including Beyoncé Knowles, Julianne Moore, Marisa Berenson, Stella Tennant, Rita Wilson and many more. 



Tom Ford industry timeline
  • 1986: Tom commences a career in fashion design
  • 1990: Ford joins Gucci as Chief designer of Womenswear
  • 1995: International Award – Council of Fashion Designers of America 1997: People Magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People
  • 1999: Style Icon Award – Elle Style Awards UK
  • 2000: Best International Designer – VH1/Vogue Awards, Fashion Editors Club of Japan Award, British GQ International Man of the Year, Superstar Award – Fashion Group International
  • 2001: Womenswear Designer of the Year from the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Best Fashion Designer from Time magazine, Designer of the Year – GQ USA, Board of Directors Special Tribute – Council of Fashion Designers of America
  • 2002: Accessory Designer of the Year Award for YSL – Council of Fashion Designers of America
  • 2004: Tom quits Gucci
  • 2005: The Tom Ford brand is launched along with the Black Orchid perfume.
  • 2006: Eyewear collections launched in collaboration with the Marcolin group
  • 2007: Flagship store opens at 845 Madison Avenue, the menswear apparel and accessories collections are launched.
  • 2008: Awarded the Menswear Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America 


“I always think about feminism,” he says, describing his mother as a “real 1970s feminist”. “I’ve been criticised for objectifying women. But I’m an equal opportunity objectifier – I’m just as happy to objectify men. The thing is, you can’t show male nudity in our culture in the way you can show female nudity. We’re very comfortable as a culture exploiting women, but not men. But I don’t think of it as exploitation [either way].”
(Hughes, 2015) 

Q: Who or what inspires you?
Ford: Life. It sounds corny, but it’s true. People always ask me how I start a collection, and I tell them that I just look around. What am I tired of? What am I in the mood for? Real fashion change comes from real changes in real life. Everything else is just decoration. 




“For menswear, I am my own muse. Of course, I have to imagine my 20-year old self and my 70-year old self (and what I would wear if I were blond with blue eyes), but everything I design is something that has my DNA in it and that is missing from my own personal wardrobe. For women’s wear, I have many muses, some of whom walked in my first runway show under my own label – Lauren Hutton, Marisa Berenson and Beyonce, among many others. I am always inspired by women who have a very strong personal style and are unafraid to make bold fashion choices.”


SaksPOV: What about cosmetics inspires you?
T.F.: I love makeup. It is one of the first things that I think about when I am designing a clothing collection. It is the thing that defines the character of the season. Who is she? Is she sexy? Sultry? Sophisticated? More of a daytime person? A nighttime person? I also use cosmetics as a man, to make my skin look better. If I have not had a good night’s sleep I will use a concealer under my eyes. If I have to be photographed, I will use a bit of translucent powder to smooth out the appearance of my skin. So, it’s something that I am passionate about and that I know a great deal about because I’ve used a lot of skin care products over the years. 



sho fia

sho fia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.